diuretics

leg pain, leg bleeding, Farrow Wraps, Compression Stockings, cold feet, Reid Sleeve, Restless Leg Syndrome, Leg Cramps, Compression Pumps, Shoes, lower limb lymphedema, secondary leg lymphedema, leg wrapping, Cold Feet, Compression socks, nerve pain, self leg massage, right leg lymphedema

Moderators: Birdwatcher, Cassie, patoco, Senior Moderators

diuretics

Postby suzeeq » Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:15 pm

A question - The physical therapist that I go to for MLD just told me that I could possibly benefit from being on a diuretic. I have left leg LE, and she said that because the leg was fairly soft still and pliable that the proteins were being removed, so the diuretic would get the extra fluid that accumulates. Now this goes against everything I have read. Is she behind the times or actually ahead of the game? I'm skeptical as she does MLD different from all of the other therapists that I've had - just uses one hand. Has anyone else heard this? Thanks, Susan
suzeeq

Postby patoco » Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:56 pm

Hey Susan :)

The answer is NO NO NO :!: :!: :!:

The only time diuretics are to be used is if the patient also has a serious medical problem such as congestive heart failure, hypertension - or the there is a sudden and life threatening build-up of fluid in the abdominal areas and pleural cavity.

Otherwise, this is a central fact of lymphedema treatment that diuretics are contraindicated.

While the diuretic does remove water, it will not remove the waste proteins, which is a heavier molcecule substance.

If this is not removed then tissue hardening (fibrosis) occurs and further complicates the lymphedema.

This therapist needs to do some homework :!:

LYMPHEDEMA DIURETICS TREATMENT

http://www.lymphedemapeople.com/thesite ... atment.htm

Best to you :wink:

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Return to Leg Lymphedema