Tricks for breaking up stage 2 tissue?

leg pain, leg bleeding, Farrow Wraps, Compression Stockings, cold feet, Reid Sleeve, Restless Leg Syndrome, Leg Cramps, Compression Pumps, Shoes, lower limb lymphedema, secondary leg lymphedema, leg wrapping, Cold Feet, Compression socks, nerve pain, self leg massage, right leg lymphedema

Moderators: Birdwatcher, Cassie, patoco, Senior Moderators

Tricks for breaking up stage 2 tissue?

Postby ma1290 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:14 pm

I'm concerned about the stage 2 tissue between my ankle and my calf becoming stage 3 tissue. It's steadily been getting worse since my last cellulitis infection I had in february. The regimen I have for breaking up the tissue is wrapping over pieces of foam to try and pit the area, stuffing pieces of foam beneath my garment, and forcefully massaging the area to try and soften/pit the tissue.

Anyone have any other methods or suggestions for breaking up stage 2 tissue?
ma1290

Postby coyote » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:08 am

Hi Adam,

I have stage 3 LE in many areas. I have full body LE. In my experience, massaging fibrotic areas too rigorously can actually increase swelling. Plus, it crushes the lymphatics.

I know when you have these hard masses it is difficult to resist working the area too hard, but truly the best method to reduce the fibrotic (hardened) tissue is through consistent compression with foam. Working the areas hard can cause damage, thereby making things worse, not better.

It can take awhile for those areas to melt away. As long as you are consistent with your MLD, compression and use of the foam, your condition probably won't worsen...unless you have an infection which inevitably causes more swelling.

Have you ever tried myofascial release? I have had some positive experiences doing that to help break up fibrotic tissue. Your LE therapist can teach you how to do it.

Best of luck to you!

Julie E
coyote

Return to Leg Lymphedema