I have MRSA

leg pain, leg bleeding, Farrow Wraps, Compression Stockings, cold feet, Reid Sleeve, Restless Leg Syndrome, Leg Cramps, Compression Pumps, Shoes, lower limb lymphedema, secondary leg lymphedema, leg wrapping, Cold Feet, Compression socks, nerve pain, self leg massage, right leg lymphedema

Moderators: Birdwatcher, Cassie, patoco, Senior Moderators

I have MRSA

Postby ma1290 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:40 pm

I had a culture done on my heel of my lymphedematous leg at the local clinic and they found MRSA. I've begun taking ciproflaxcin, but I'm still very nervous. Has anyone had this?

I have been in a pool quite a bit lately. I'm afraid that it could be in the pool because of me. Does anyone know if chlorine kills it?
ma1290

Postby patoco » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:44 pm

Hey Adam

Not good :( :!: :!:

Do they really think simple ciproflaxcin is going to take care of this? No IV antibiotics??????? :?: :?: :?:

Why not vancomycin????? :?:

There are many reports of infections be contracted from pools, even private ones. Evidently chlorine isn't as good as it is claimed to be when it comes to killing bacteria.

Please, if you haven't been sent to an Infectious Disease doctor, do so.

Let us know how you are doing.

The very best to you

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

MRSA

Postby ksl4139 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:50 pm

I doubt you can get it in a pool. Staph is on our skin all the time. MRSA (Methicillin Resistent Staph Aureus) means resistent to Methicillin. You need a antibiotic that it is sensitive to for it to go away. You will have to have 3 cultures that are negative before you can say you don't have it anymore. Many people walking around probably have it in their nostrils, but since they aren't cultured no one knows if you have it or not. It is spread by direct contact, so if you touch your heel with your hand, then touch something/someone you can transfer it to them. Good handwashing helps prevent it.
ksl4139

Postby patoco » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:27 pm

Actually, you can get it from a pool.

It is imperative that this be cultured and that an appropriate antibiotic is given.

As I said, while cipro can be effective to some extent, it may take a different type of antibiotic like vanco to finally eliminate it.

How are you doing now Adam :?:

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Return to Leg Lymphedema