Ingrown hairs from Compression Stockings??

leg pain, leg bleeding, Farrow Wraps, Compression Stockings, cold feet, Reid Sleeve, Restless Leg Syndrome, Leg Cramps, Compression Pumps, Shoes, lower limb lymphedema, secondary leg lymphedema, leg wrapping, Cold Feet, Compression socks, nerve pain, self leg massage, right leg lymphedema

Moderators: Birdwatcher, Cassie, patoco, Senior Moderators

Ingrown hairs from Compression Stockings??

Postby Jody » Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:48 pm

I have been wearing my compression hose faithfully now for almost 15 months... (I can honestly say I've never missed a day!!!)

My question is: Does anyone else have a problem with ingrown hairs that are definitely caused by the stockings? Afterall, with the compression against the skin, where else should the hair go???? I find this to be a nuisance AND a risk for infection.

Most recently, I had a tiny bump right on the top of my foot at the bend of my ankle.... Of course, inside was a curled up hair... Once the hair was 'freed,' the area became quite red and painful... I was contemplating starting the antibiotics as the area got to about the size of a 25 cent coin... I did put antibiotic ointment on it and also a bandaid (which was quite difficult to keep in place while putting on my hose!!!)

I use one of those scrubbies in the shower everyday.... I also dry my legs quite briskly with my towel.....

What else can I do to avoid these nasty little buggers? How embarrassing it is when I go for physio or MLD and I've got little red bumps, etc. all over my legs in the stocking region.... (Below the knees, as I wear knee-high compression hose)...

Any comments??? Any other bothered by this?
Jody

Postby silkie » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:30 am

Hi Jody

Sorry I don't have the problem in areas where i have lymph i have hardly any hair at all

I remember that when i was taught the massage being told always stroke upwards towards except on the final stroke then bring down so the hair on the limb is smoothed down again to help prevent infections

I don't know if this will help

Have you mentioned to your therapist she might have some suggestions for you. Dont be embarrassed by it tell her your problem

she might just have an answer

Also i dont use anything on my skin that is not smooth as a babies bottom
no scrubbies no rough sponges nothing that can agrivate the skin or cause damage even the smallest break

Hugssssssssssss

Silksssssssss
silkie

ingrown hairs

Postby suzeeq » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:18 pm

Hi Jody, Just wondering - do you shave your legs? I still shave every day without any problems. I know we are not supposed to use a razor, but I've only knicked myself once in the past 4 years that I have had this. Also, do you use the same scrubby? Maybe you could try using a new wash cloth each day and wash all towels in hot water. You could possibly be spreading bacteria back to yourself by using the same scrubby. And just pat dry your skin, no rubbing. It might be irritating it as well. Just a few suggestions, it's worth a try to see if it makes a difference. Good luck. Susan
suzeeq

Postby Jody » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:15 pm

Hi Susan,

Yes, I do still shave my legs, but not every day!!! I would say that I shave about every 1.5-2 weeks.... Not that I really have to worry about showing off my legs, but I do go to physio 1-2 times a week and my physio therapist is quite the handsome fellow.... Couldn't fathom showing up with hairy legs!!!!

(I'm pretty good at getting off topic, aren't I???) Anyways, I throw my scrubbies in the laundry with my stockings.... they get a gentle cycle wash... (I'm a little neurotic about stuff like that)...

As for just patting my skin dry, my therapist told me to 'dry vigorously' to increase circulation... Hmmm....

I think what I will do is try your suggestion - a new washcloth every day in the shower... Will give that a try to see if maybe it's not as 'irritating' as those scrubby-balls are...

Thanks again for the info....

Jody
Jody

Postby silkie » Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:15 am

Hi Jody

Wow your therapist told you the complete opposite to what i have been told and read

Stimulating the bloodflow or making the skin red when massaging is a big NO NO for me as it increases the lymph flow

As gentle as stroking a baby or a kitten so as not to activate the blood vessels is how i was taught

We also produce lymh fluid everyday so the damage to our system is also
dealing with the the fluid everyday not just twice a week therapy so each day i do mld for each day there is more lymph fluid.

It is strange two lymphedema therapist have totally different views on treatment

Silksxxxxxxxxxxxxx
silkie

Ingrown hairs

Postby SteveB » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:49 am

Hi.
I don't know if you had your question answered yet or not, but I do have ingrown hairs.
I've been using my stockings for 9 years, 3 months now.
My left leg essentially no longer has any hair left.
I also have lots of little pink spots at where the stocking has a band that is supposed to "hug" my leg.
At one point years ago, I remembered reading about a special form of cancer that appears as little pink spots. I asked my oncologist about it, and he said that I didn't have the right symptoms.
Recently the number of spots dramatically increased, and so I asked my primary care doctor. She said that it's most likely ingrown hairs.
While I'd think there are resolutions for this, I have yet to hear about them, and I haven't had any infections from any of them. I did once have a boil, and got antibiotics for that. It went well.
SteveB

Postby bbkmomma » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:15 pm

Jody:
I have those ingrown hairs too! Just been in my stockings (same kind as you) for a few weeks. Perhaps shaving every day would work. I agree we need to be careful with razors and our legs. Luckly, my LD is still "somewhat" mild and I think shaving would be worth it. Every case is different.
Keep me posted! Good luck and God Bless,
B
bbkmomma

ingrown hairs

Postby Tania » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:45 pm

Hi everyone,

I shave every day which manages to keep most of the ingrowns at bay. However, if I take one day break, it seems some of those hairs get long enough to get pushed back into the skin.

Shaving seems to be the best option as waxing is probably too hot and too painful. It might even cause extra swelling - who knows? The chemical removers smell nasty and never seem to work.

I have also looked into laser hair removal, but no one wants to even come near that leg with a laser.

Tania
Tania

Return to Leg Lymphedema